Problem Based Learning at GSS
The Good Shepherd faculty trained by mindSpark for a week in August on creating a STEM/PBL classroom.
“At mindSpark Learning we leverage industry to support educators and students so they can cultivate essential skills -- like creativity, emotional intelligence,
critical thinking and adaptability -- which ultimately results in a more dynamic talent pipeline, and a workforce that industry can benefit from immediately.”
What is STEM?
Science: The study of the natural world.
Technology: The STEM definition for technology includes any product made by humans to meet a want or need.
Engineering: The design process kids use to solve problems.
Math: The language of numbers, shapes, and quantities that seems so irrelevant to many students.
Guidelines for STEM/PBL lessons:
1. STEM lessons focus on real-world issues and problems.
2. STEM lessons are guided by the engineering design process.
3. STEM lessons immerse students in hands-on inquiry and open-ended exploration.
4. STEM lessons involve students in productive teamwork.
5. STEM lessons apply rigorous math and science content your students are learning.
6. STEM lessons allow for multiple right answers and reframe failure as a necessary part of learning.
Current PBLs in Progress (Click Heading for Pictures):
The Good Shepherd School
1839 Agriculture St
New Orleans, LA 70119
Tel: (504) 598-9399
GSS Mission Statement